SimX is a fast-growing startup bringing virtual and augmented reality to medical simulation training. Our product is the first comprehensive professional-grade VR medical simulation system, and it is used by our customers to train physicians, nurses, paramedics and other allied health professionals. Since our product has become generally available, demand has exploded and we're in need of new team members to move our product forward.
Our company has an ambitious and high-impact purpose: to transform the way healthcare professionals are trained in order to take a dent out of the more than 400,000 people who die every year from preventable medical errors. We're a dynamic team consisting of about half medical professionals and half engineers, all of whom have dedicated their time to achieving our mission. As an early startup, we're looking for new team members who are excited about our mission and have the drive to thrive in the startup environment.
We are seeking a skilled Back End Engineer to join our team and play a key role in developing and maintaining our backend API’s. As part of this dynamic position, you will enjoy a diverse range of responsibilities that adapt to the evolving needs of our organization. Your main focus will be on conceiving and implementing new features, taking them from the initial concept all the way through to seamless deployment. Additionally, you will be instrumental in providing exceptional user support, ensuring smooth integration of new and enhanced features, and resolving any technical challenges that may arise. Your expertise and dedication will contribute significantly to the success of our web applications and services.
- Communicate regularly with stakeholders, project managers, quality assurance teams, and other developers
- Create and maintain workflows with teams to provide visibility and to ensure workload balance for consistent visual designs
- Produce quality code, raising the bar for team performance and speed
- Recommend systems solutions by comparing advantages and disadvantages of custom development and purchased alternatives
- Write code and tests, build prototypes, resolve issues, and profile and analyze bottlenecks
- Develop and maintain RESTful APIs to facilitate smooth communication between frontend applications and the backend servers
- Design, optimize, and manage databases, ensuring data integrity and efficient data retrieval.
- Identify and address performance bottlenecks to ensure the scalability and responsiveness of backend services.
- Conduct and participate in code reviews to maintain code quality, adhere to coding standards, and identify opportunities for improvement
- Develop automated tests to ensure business needs are met, and allow for regression testing
- B.S. in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or an appropriate technical degree, or equivalent engineering experience
- Proven experience in building scalable server-side applications using Node.js and related frameworks.
- Familiarity with database systems like MongoDB, MySQL, or PostgreSQL, and proficiency in writing efficient queries
- Understanding of authentication and authorization mechanisms, such as JWT and OAuth.
- 3 years of professional experience building back end applications with Node.js
- A strong understanding of back end server architecture
- Strong communication and teamwork skills
- Experience using Git or other version control tools
- Able to move work from design to production with minimal supervision
- Passionate about sharing knowledge and developing less experienced team members
- Solid experience developing code that can be unit and end-to-end tested
- Proof of eligibility to work in the United States
- Permanent residence in the United States
This is a full-time, remote position. Candidates must live within the United States and will primarily be expected to work during Pacific Standard Time business hours. In addition, candidates will also be expected to attend major simulation conferences and/or in-person closing meetings potentially as frequently as monthly.
Note: these are not required to be a successful applicant, but we'd love it if you have one or two! Please also feel free to let us know if you have skills not listed here that you think would make you a great fit for our company.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services infrastructure
- Experience with online web security
- Experience with Docker and software containerization
- Familiar with container orchestrators such as Kubernetes / Fargate / ECS
- Medical experience
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Target salary range: $90,000-140,000 annually; commensurate with experience
- Remote work environment
- SimX covers 99% of employee premiums and 50% of dependent premiums for medical, dental, and vision
- 401(k) with employer matching
- Company laptop, home office credit, and internet reimbursement
- Stock Options
- Unlimited PTO
- Application Screening
- Initial Phone Screen with the Recruiter
- Interview with the Hiring Manager
- Final interview with the CEO
- Offer Package
SimX is an equal opportunity employer. Our goal is to have a workforce that represents the full diversity of the health professionals that we aim to train and the patients whose care we want to improve. Our employment decisions will be based solely on the merit and qualifications of applicants without discrimination, including discrimination with regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. SimX is committed to making reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities.